10 Natural Parenting Commitments

I find that sometimes, in the bustle of everyday life with three little ones, I can get distracted from the parenting and homemaking practices that are most important to me.  So I am writing down my most important natural parenting commitments, those practices that are central to the philosophy of our family life, in the hope that they remain top-of-mind even among all those distractions.  Here they are, in no particular order.

Top 10 Natural Parenting Commitments:

  1. It is important to me that I parent with love, respect, responsiveness and gentleness.
  2. It is important to me that I listen to and understand my children's needs.
  3. It is important to me that I facilitate my children's natural curiosity and encourage them to learn and grow in their own way, in their own time.
  4. It is important to me that I model the behaviors I expect from my children.
  5. It is important to me that I position family at the center of our lives.
  6. It is important to me that I feed my family wholesome, homemade, mostly-organic, preferably local, real food.
  7. It is important to me that I trust my powerful maternal instincts, especially when making decisions about my family's health and well-being.
  8. It is important to me that I strive to live more sustainably, seeking ways to treat the earth with greater care and thought.
  9. It is important to me that I make my home a greater source of production, rather than exclusively consumption.
  10. It is important to me that I continuously question, challenge, and inquire to reveal what is best for my family.  
What might your list look like?  Have you written down a mothering mission statement or a set of commitments that guide your parenting?  What impact has it had?