Weekly Mothering Challenge

I like goal-setting. It keeps me focused, helps me improve, and it led to much success in my earlier professional life, so I thought I would give weekly goal-setting a try with motherhood.

My plan is to establish a weekly mothering challenge each Monday. If the goal is something you would like to work on too, then it would be great if you would join me! And if you've already mastered the goal, or are making good progress, then it would be great if you could share your wisdom with the rest of us.

I have a few goals that I'm thinking of tackling for the coming weeks, but I'd love to hear your suggestions too!

Let me know what you think of this week's goal:

Weekly Mothering Challenge #1 - Make "Yes" My Default Response

I find it's easy to get in a rut with saying no. It occurs to me at times that I say no to the kids without really thinking about it and when I stop to more closely consider my response, a yes answer will do just fine.

So for this week, I am going to try to make "yes" my default response. This does not mean, yes, you can eat all the chocolate you want, and, yes, you can play in traffic, but it does mean being more watchful of my responses and trying to say "yes" more than "no." I reserve the right to say, "yes, if" -- as in, "yes we can do that if we do this first"-- which I think will help to shift many previous "no" responses into "yes" responses that we can all feel good about.

I'm committing to this goal and hope that some of you may join me and share your thoughts and experiences on this first weekly mothering challenge!