Mothering Challenge: Celebrate Babywearing Week!

Today marks the start of International Babywearing Week, and in cities everywhere local organizations are sponsoring an array of activities to celebrate the joy and utility of babywearing.

Here in Boston, the week-long celebration includes "carrier speed dating" to try-out various slings, and a festival with music and games and raffles.

I have used several carriers over the course of three babies and the Ergo remains my favorite for its ease, comfort, and practicality. With each successive child, it seems, babywearing becomes even more essential for me. How else could I possibly get things done or go anywhere in the city if my little one wasn't attached to me while I chase after a toddler and preschooler? My nine-month-old spends a lot of her time in the Ergo, happily nursing or napping or taking in her world from the comfort of mommy's perch while I cook or clean or walk or play.


We are lucky to have many babywearing choices these days, from snazzy new designs to basic cloth wraps, to help us perform the many tasks of motherhood while holding our babies close.

What is your favorite baby carrier and why?