Domestic Pursuits

As I've mentioned previously on this blog, I'm a big fan of the online magazine, Rhythm of the Home, which has such inspiring articles and ideas about family life and parenthood. I've been thinking a lot lately about one of the articles from this spring's issue called, "The Rebirth of Domesticity," written by Heather Fontenot, a homeschooling mom of three boys in Colorado.

The article discusses how moms today are once again cherishing the "handmade and homemade" and are taking on domestic pursuits-- like cooking, gardening, knitting, sewing-- with renewed zest and appreciation. Having just knit my first-ever scarf and enjoying immersing myself in more domestic pursuits, I can say that I wish I had paid more attention in 7th grade Home Economics class. I have a lot to learn, particularly in the culinary area, and I hope to someday be able to knit a scarf in fewer than four months, but all of this creates a fun new challenge to perfect my domestic skills. While I don't think I will ever iron my sheets like my grandmother did or host a dinner party as perfectly as she, I am finding great reward in the "handmade and homemade" to "create a world of beauty" for my family.