Country Homemaking

Other than needing to drive to the farm stand and supermarket, country homemaking has been strikingly similar to city homemaking. Since first writing about my city homemaking goals back in April, I haven't bought a loaf of bread and am spending most of my time in the produce section of the market. (For someone who, yes, always bought packaged, pre-cut carrots, this shift toward pure homemaking is a big deal.)

My husband said that while we're at the lake house, I should just relax my homemaking and buy a loaf of bread or a jar of pasta sauce. But as bizarre as it sounds, I find that focusing more on homemaking gives me additional energy and a greater sense of accomplishment throughout the day. It sounds counterintuitive, that somehow spending my toddler's naptime peeling vegetables instead of resting in front of the laptop gives me additional stamina; but I think staying constantly busy around the home really does lead to higher satisfaction levels.

The challenge, as I've discussed with several homeschooling homemakers lately, is striking a balance between homemaking and mothering. It's entirely possible to spend the whole day in the kitchen making food from scratch, so I try to do as much as I can while my toddler naps and during other quiet play times.

The rewards are the delicious smells from my kitchen and the hope that maybe-- just maybe-- my kids will actually eat something I cook for them.