Take the Bus


We have been on a bus kick lately. While we greatly rely on public transportation in general, I am loving our city bus system even more than usual recently. I think part of it is that we are at a nice spot age-wise now where my five-year-old is fairly self-sufficient on the bus, I don't need to lug a stroller for my two-year-old, and my 10-month-old is still content to be carried in the Ergo. I think also as the weather becomes cooler and more variable, we are increasingly drawn to museums and other indoor spaces on easy bus routes. And the kids absolutely adore the bus as an integral part of our city adventures. In fact, the journey--watching the fascinating people and places we see from the bus--is often more interesting than the destination itself.

My neighbor told me about a great iPhone application called "Catch the Bus," which uses real-time GPS to let riders know when the bus will arrive at various stops, rather than relying on bus schedules. There are also similar apps for other devices. This is very helpful for city parents who don't want to be lingering outside with little ones for too long!

City parents: How do you rely on your city bus and subway system for your city homeschooling?