Acceptance or Rejection?

At the end of my previous post, I asked the question:

Are you accepting something for what it promises, or rejecting something for what it fails at?

I have been fascinated by the responses, both here and on the blog's Facebook page. Some of you indicated that, with respect to homeschooling, you are completely accepting, others passionately rejecting, and others neither accepting nor rejecting.

This leads me to another similarly provocative question related specifically to homeschooling:

How do you think your homeschooling perspectives and approaches might vary if your children were once enrolled in a traditional school compared to if your children were always home-schooled?

If your children were enrolled in traditional school, for example, do you feel more comfortable following an established curriculum to retain the rhythms of a traditional school-day, or do you reject the traditional school rhythms and seek something completely different? I am curious to hear your responses, here and on Facebook.

My children have never attended traditional school and we committed to homeschooling when my oldest was only two-years-old, so my perspectives on life learning and unschooling have blossomed naturally from watching how my children learn. Beginning in toddlerhood, we became active in our local homeschooling community, particularly young homeschooler playgroups, and my kids have developed friendships with other similar-aged homeschoolers that have endured over the past several years. We feel completely free to follow our own learning path, uncovering the children's passions and gifts as we go, and see homeschooling as a natural extension of our family rhythms and child-rearing philosophy.

I wonder how different my perspectives on homeschooling would be if my children had attended traditional school at some point, and, again, how the discourse would change if I were removing my children from traditional school to home-school, whether out of rejection of a broken system or acceptance of a new way of living and learning.

You?