My Little Baker


Yesterday at the playground, a man asked my five-year-old where she goes to school.  "I home-school," she replied.  "Oh, and what do you do in home-school?" he asked.  "Well," she responded, "I do as much math as I want to during the day because I want to be a baker."  "That's good," the man said, "baking does require a lot of math."

This entire exchange made me smile.  I always love to hear the kids' responses about homeschooling in their own words.

Whether or not my five-year-old will follow in the footsteps of locally-acclaimed Flour Bakery chef and owner, Joanne Chang, who has a degree in Applied Mathematics from Harvard, she is consumed by all-things-baking lately.  She devised a "Special Secret Cake Recipe," selecting all of her ingredients and measurements herself, and today she put her creation to the test.  It may not be the fluffiest cake, but it is definitely the best I've ever tasted...

Special Secret Cake Recipe

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 cups of flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 stick of butter
Big mixing spoon

Mix all ingredients together.  Put in oven.  Bake at 350 until done.