Parenting and Public Speaking

When I began my corporate training business many years ago, my initial training workshops were mostly focused on teaching professionals how to be more effective public speakers. (In fact, my husband and I met when he was my "student" in a seminar I was leading at his firm at the time...)

I was thinking recently about those early days of my career which now seem like a lifetime ago. As I was recalling the tips and techniques I would share with the businesspeople aiming to be better presenters, I realized that they are pretty good tips for us parents too!

Here are some of these public speaking/parenting strategies:

1. Stay calm.
2. Know your audience's interests.
3. Be prepared.
4. Expect the unexpected.
5. Use humor when possible.
6. Explain ideas clearly and concisely.
7. Keep your audience engaged.
8. Use props where appropriate.
9. Smile.
10. Practice makes perfect!