Knitting and Motherhood

I am learning to knit. I am in the early stages of acquiring this skill and am only just beginning to get in a groove. I've completed two very imperfect scarves and one equally imperfect hat, but I am enjoying it more and more each day. It occurs to me that, although mothering is so very much more important than knitting in every way, knitting and mothering make a great metaphor.

With experience, I gain skill and confidence and momentum with both my knitting and my mothering. I make mistakes, particularly in the early days and when encountering a new challenge. I practice and strive. I take on bigger goals. I surround myself with women who are more experienced so that I may learn from their wisdom and benefit from their hints. I see, amidst the repetition, amidst the effort, beauty unfold.

I am only just beginning this journey. I have a long way to go before I get even close to mastering knitting and mothering. But I'll keep working at it because these efforts bring so much goodness, so much reward, even when we're just learning.