New Year's Resolution

I hadn't thought much about resolutions. I hadn't thought that there was much need to list my small goals for 2012, like learning to knit more than just a scarf or striving to make more time for pleasure reading. But over the weekend, my littlest one who is about to celebrate her first birthday came down with her first cold. It's just your typical run-of-the-mill winter cold, but nonetheless all she wants to do is snuggle and nurse, which of course is exactly what she should be doing and exactly what I want to be doing for her.

These marathon nursing sessions necessarily lead to chores left undone, messes left untouched, and plans left unmet. And you know what? It feels good, this letting go. It feels right to welcome a new year with a new focus on our treasured triad: family, community, nature. And if prioritizing these three important things means letting go of the many unimportant things in our days, then I resolve to do just that.

What about you? What are your resolutions for this new year?